31 December 2011

Featured Drawing: 1970-71 MGB

I just recently finished this drawing of a 1971 MGB. I know, it's abstract enough that it could be almost any year MGB, but I've always liked the way this model had a recessed grille, and tried to pick that up in this image.


I drove one of these for several years-- it was one of my first cars. My dad traded an old VW beetle for it: it was beige, rusted, interior was destroyed. You could watch the road go by below through the holes in the floorboard (which was kind of cool, to be honest), but it ran, and shifted extremely well. I'm 6'-4" and it had the most legroom of any car I've owned.

We gave it to my high school shop class to strip and repaint, which they would do with donor cars for the price of supplies, to teach the process. They were learning, but did a nice job, fixed the floor, got rid of the rust, sent it back to us in the metallic deep red we wanted. Later on, we'd put in new carpet, new door panels, seat covers, stereo (not the best idea--I went through a few top replacements due to theft, until I learned to simply leave it unlocked).

I'd come out of school and friends would be in it, pushing it around for a joyride, but I could usually find it fairly quickly, always unharmed. I think if I'd seen this photo of Bill Wyman back then I would have been pretty much unsufferable:


College was too busy, though, and I just couldn't keep it running. There just wasn't time. I remember spending a month sourcing a new driveshaft while it sat idle on the street, collecting drops of concrete from the construction site nearby. I could never keep the alternator dry, or the batteries (it has two behind the seats) charged. I'd drive around until I could find a parking spot at the top of a hill; I'd stop under highway overpasses until heavy rains would pass, sometimes chatting with motorcycle guys who did the same.

Eventually sold it to my uncle and cousin, who painted it guards red and restored it further. But I sure miss driving it. I saw a blue one the other that looked exactly like it-- same wheels, same luggage rack, everything-- that led me to make the blue graphic above.

(Click here for some collected shots of the MGB in the metal.)

No comments:

Post a Comment